Monday, October 29, 2007

Meet Linda Skolnick






Name:
Linda Skolnick
Company: AIG Retirement Services
Hometown: Thousand Oaks, CA
College: USC

What is your role at AIG? What are the main facets of your job?

I manage the public relations efforts for AIG Retirement Services, Inc., a member company of American International Group, Inc. that serves more than 5 million customers nationwide with retirement savings services and products. I handle the daily responsibilities of managing press calls, arranging media interviews, authoring press releases and penning executive talking points, but also have the fantastic opportunity to manage national media tours, on-site industry interviews, and, on some occasions, manage international media interviews. AIG Retirement Services has an extremely small PR department (me plus the help of my fabulous part-time intern and the input of my very busy Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications) so I really do participate in all aspects of PR.

What has been your favorite PR moment?

My favorite PR moment was my most recent media tour in New York. I met with a round of editors from some of our top industry publications and it was like meeting up with old friends. It's taken me almost two years to develop such strong relationships with these editors, but the relationships are absolutely invaluable. I've secured our best stories through these personal relationships and this last trip I remember so clearly: One minute I am sitting across from an editor at breakfast, laughing about a family story, and the next I'm securing an interview for my president in next month's issue. This is what PR is all about and at this very moment I realized I was no longer the new kid on the block. I could really call myself a PR professional.

What do you think your next career move will be?

I hope my next career move takes place right here at AIG Retirement Services! I'm working to grow into a managerial position in the corporate communications function, overseeing both external and internal communications. While my passion will always be public relations, I am very committed to our employees and to the community, and would love to be actively involved in employee communications and community relations as well. Managing the corporate communications function would allow me to continue my work in PR and dabble in employee and community related efforts.

What advice can you give to current students? Recent graduates?

My advice to current students is to participate in as many internships as possible! I completed six internships by the time I graduated and, though I was always busy, these positions prepared me very well for the corporate world. And, more importantly, they really let me figure out what my interests were and what I wanted to do after I graduated. Each internship was in a different industry, with different responsibilities. This diversity really let me discover my interests and my passions, not to mention that I interned for AIG my senior year of college and I am here today!

To recent graduates, learn as much as possible about your company, your industry and your competitors. Become an expert in your field of practice -- your boss will be impressed and more likely to put you in front of top management if he/she knows that you are well versed on all topics related to the company. Develop relationships with the reporters and editors at your target media outlets and you'll be much more likely to secure positive media coverage. And don't be afraid of hard work.

No comments: